Another Indie piece that’s just a little too quintessentially Brit for its own good. It started life as a 500 word entry in an Escape Pod competition and, while it didn’t get voted through to the next round, it acquitted itself very well considering the main character is a man with Down’s Syndrome. The aim was to write something the people I work with would see as positive, that has humour and authenticity, and doesn’t dissect their vulnerability. You may find the authenticity claim a bit hard to swallow but I can vouch for every bit of dialogue – some bloke with Down’s has uttered those lines to me at some point in our sessions together, and the need to work therapy through Dr Who or a Superhero is almost common enough to need its own literature! It’s over here on This Personal space.
May 20, 2012
‘If it ain’t broke …’
This entry was posted on Sunday, May 20th, 2012 at 16:45 and tagged with Down syndrome, fiction, short story and posted in fiction. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
search this site
O-Blog O-Blog! Yes it’s here!
- Speckles in the Sky
- Beating Hilary Mantel
- New website
- How many characters can a short story accommodate?
- Itty bitty survey – results are in!
- Itty bitty survey needs your help please
- Update of Indie Author Page
- Comic Relief
- All the Birthdays – Lascaux flash competition
- All the Birthdays
- Accounting for Nitwits
- Blue Bell Hotel
- Christmas lights and a world tour
- Brace yourself, it’s a poem
- ‘Red is for Go’
- RT @tomcopley: If some Tories think it's #equalmarriage that will lose them the next election they're seriously deluded... 8 hours ago
- RT @NoMorePage3: 102,505 signatures so far. That's loads... But not enough! Who hasn't signed? change.org/en-GB/petition… 8 hours ago
- Stray's Mongrel Assortments is out! paper.li/strayficshion/… ▸ Top stories today via @dagraystone 11 hours ago
- @coffeewithkate @Boardman_Author Got them all crossed! Now, how to make lunch ... 15 hours ago
- Fab Nebula winner, Aliette de Bodard. Absorbing tale about becoming avatars of oneself bit.ly/JCatqH @aliettedb 17 hours ago
Suzanne Conboy-Hill on Beating Hilary Mantel anaspanish on Beating Hilary Mantel Suzanne Conboy-Hill on Beating Hilary Mantel anaspanish on Beating Hilary Mantel Suzanne Conboy-Hill on Beating Hilary Mantel