Another Indie piece that’s just a little too quintessentially Brit for its own good. It started life as a 500 word entry in an Escape Pod competition and, while it didn’t get voted through to the next round, it acquitted itself very well considering the main character is a man with Down’s Syndrome. The aim was to write something the people I work with would see as positive, that has humour and authenticity, and doesn’t dissect their vulnerability. You may find the authenticity claim a bit hard to swallow but I can vouch for every bit of dialogue – some bloke with Down’s has uttered those lines to me at some point in our sessions together, and the need to work therapy through Dr Who or a Superhero is almost common enough to need its own literature! It’s over here on This Personal space.
‘If it ain’t broke …’
This entry was posted on Sunday, May 20th, 2012 at 16:45 and tagged with Down syndrome, fiction, short story and posted in fiction. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.
search this site
O-Blog O-Blog! Yes it’s here!
- ‘No Animals …’ – the story behind the story
- ‘No Animals Were Harmed …’: a deadly reality TV show
- Mental Health and Fiction: striking the balance
- It’s a Dog Day on Ether
- Writing well and coathangers
- For National Poetry Day: ‘Philosopher Stoned’
- ‘Lovely Girls’
- ‘Puddles like Pillows’ in Zouche Magazine
- Edinburgh book festival: the storify tweet challenge
- ‘Cat Nav’ Every Day Fiction podcast
- ‘Oars for Legs’
- Left brain, right brain – who’s really making it up?
- Fiction where main character has Down Syndrome
- ‘No Arrests in 2039′ podcast
- ‘Dance to the Wild Ice’
- When the parent dies, the child steps up. #Mandela #SouthAfrica 2 hours ago
- RT @StayUpLateUK: Our punk idea of the day - national Stay Up Late day is.gd/fzOoGV 3 hours ago
- 'Dog Day' is #1 in paid downloads on @etherbooks just now :) Was that you? Thank you! bit.ly/16aNHHb 3 hours ago
- Stray's Mongrel Assortments is out! paper.li/strayficshion/… Stories via @CCCUAppPsy @TouchstoneBooks 5 hours ago
- RT @eblech: "To be free is not merely to cast off one's chains but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others" - Nel… 10 hours ago
Suzanne Conboy-Hill on ‘No Animals …’ – the story beh… Tracy Fells on ‘No Animals …’ – the story beh… NO ANIMALS WERE HARM… on Where’s my (published)… Suzanne Conboy-Hill on Mental Health and Fiction: str… Tracy Fells on Mental Health and Fiction: str…