Another Indie piece that’s just a little too quintessentially Brit for its own good. It started life as a 500 word entry in an Escape Pod competition and, while it didn’t get voted through to the next round, it acquitted itself very well considering the main character is a man with Down’s Syndrome. The aim was to write something the people I work with would see as positive, that has humour and authenticity, and doesn’t dissect their vulnerability. You may find the authenticity claim a bit hard to swallow but I can vouch for every bit of dialogue – some bloke with Down’s has uttered those lines to me at some point in our sessions together, and the need to work therapy through Dr Who or a Superhero is almost common enough to need its own literature! It’s over here on This Personal space.
‘If it ain’t broke …’
This entry was posted on Sunday, May 20th, 2012 at 16:45 and tagged with Down syndrome, fiction, short story and posted in fiction. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.
search this site
O-Blog O-Blog! Yes it’s here!
- The Spider and the Wire Wool Madness: what’s that all about then?
- The Spider and the Wire Wool Madness
- Writing Fiction: Raising the Bar
- Readwave and Scribd: places for writers & readers
- Emoticons: regressed cave paintings or evolved punctuation?
- ‘No Animals …’ – the story behind the story
- ‘No Animals Were Harmed …’: a deadly reality TV show
- Mental Health and Fiction: striking the balance
- It’s a Dog Day on Ether
- Writing well and coathangers
- For National Poetry Day: ‘Philosopher Stoned’
- ‘Lovely Girls’
- ‘Puddles like Pillows’ in Zouche Magazine
- Edinburgh book festival: the storify tweet challenge
- ‘Cat Nav’ Every Day Fiction podcast
- @ravensward @sliderulesyou Yes indeed :) 17 hours ago
- The Spider and the Wire Wool Mind: what’s that all about then? wp.me/pHlSJ-Ck 21 hours ago
- RT @sliderulesyou: How to pour liquid from a carton properly, as explained by a Japanese diagram. Life now improved immeasurably. http://t.… 21 hours ago
- Stray's Mongrel Assortments is out! paper.li/strayficshion/… Stories via @CarysBray @scifidimension 22 hours ago
- 'Lydia', a great white shark, is on her way to the UK. Better get the book then: 'Meeting Lydia' by @LindaMac1 1 day ago